Microneedling and Plasma Pen are both skin care treatments that have rejuvenation and correction effect on the skin. Both methods create minor controlled injuries to the outer layers of the skin to stimulate the body into releasing more collagen. Many academic kinds of research have approved the authenticity of methods like them. Side effects of microneedling and Plasma Pen are minimal. Plus, not only they would not leave a scar behind (if done properly), but they also help the body heal wrinkles, acne marks, and scars.
To get the best result out of both methods, you should follow some instructions before and after the treatment. Here in this article, we have provided a list for you of precautions before microneedling or Plasma Pen and the aftercare routine of them.
Microneedling before care
You might have heard that going through a microneedling treatment is not a decision you make overnight and that you should also prepare for the sessions ahead. Below is a list of things sources and websites over internet say you should or shouldn’t do before microneedling treatment or the follow-up sessions after that.
This list seems long and hard to do, right? Well we are here to tell you that unless you have certain medical conditions or skin issues that require precise care, there is no need to go through this microneedling before care point by point. The most important things that you should do before microneedling is not to use topical agents that may increase the sensitivity of your skin such as retinoid and exfoliants.
But in case you need the details because of special conditions, here they are:
- Do not use a hair removal laser or IPL for at least 2 weeks before your microneedling session. If there is hair on your skin, you can simply shave it a day before your appointment. But laser therapy of any kind is out of option for a while before and after microneedling. Of course, you can use the laser on other parts of your skin if you need it. Also avoid waxing, electrolysis, or depilatory creams on your skin.
- Sunlight is another factor you should avoid to get the best result out of microneedling. Therefore activities such as sunbathing or exercising under direct sunlight are prohibited. Plus, do not expose your skin unprotected for too long in the last 2 weeks before microneedling.
- A day before your appointment for microneedling at the clinic, you should stop using any blood-thinning agents such as aspirin. Taking medications like this might aggravate the skin into more bruising after the session.
- Aside from aspirin and other medicines alike, you probably have to stop using any sorts of topical agents like retinoids, antibiotics, and acids around 5 to 7 days before your appointment. Other topical agents like exfoliants are not an exception. Using them might increase the sensitivity of your skin and make the aftercare unnecessarily hard.
- Before your microneedling session, it’s advised not to take anti-inflammatory medications such as Ibuprofen, Motrin, or Advil. Inflammation is part of the process of microneedling. The body better go through with it at its natural speed. But this advice is not strictly recommended. If you are going through any types of harsh pain, you can take the prescribed meds.
You can expect skin redness as a side effect after each micro-needling session. A slight feeling of tingling and tightening in the micro needled areas as another side effect of microneedling.
Of course not all side effects show up for all people and not all of them show up at once.
There is also an aftercare routine to follow to get the best result and prevent any possible side effects after the treatment. Here is a list of what NOT to do after microneedling:
- Do not wash your face for at least 12 hours after the microneedling session. And after these essential hours of the treatment clean your face only with lukewarm water. You can also use a gentle cleanser in the process. But make sure you have clean hands first.
- Do not expose your skin to direct sunlight after 24 hours of the session. You can only apply chemical-free topical lotions on your skin, so if for any reason you had to go out in daylight, use a broad-spectrum UVA/UVB SPF 50 or higher sunscreen to avoid any possible side effect. You can also wear a hat.
- Do not apply make-up 48 hours after microneedling treatment. You can even extend the time to 72 hours if your skin is still sensitive. The make-up includes foundations and powders. After that, if you want to wear make-up, use a clean brush, or no brush at all. Dirty brushes can only cause skin irritation and infections short after your microneedling session.
- Do not use swimming pools, saunas, and sunbeds in 5 days after the microneedling session. The chemical solutions in water can cause inflammation on your skin.
- Do not try any physical exertion in 2 days after the treatment. This includes exercising and all possible activity that can make you sweat.
- Do not use any botox or fillers for 3 weeks after microneedling. The skin pores are still open during this time and injecting chemicals under the layers can affect the final result or interfere with the next session.
- And Do not forget to use the aftercare products, starting from the evening of the treatment, up to the next 5 days. Apply it 3 times a day in the morning, evening, and at night.
Common questions about microneedling aftercare
There are still some questions about the procedure. Here we provide answers to some of the most frequently asked questions about microneedling:
What to put on skin after microneedling at home?
Some aftercare products are recommended to apply to your skin. Ingredients such as hyaluronic acid, peptides, Aloe vera gel and natural coconut oil could be useful for prompting the skin to stimulate collagen production.
Can I wash my face after microneedling?
It’s better not to wash your face for 5 to 12 hours after microneedling, and also do that only with lukewarm water.
Is Coconut oil after microneedling useful?
Yes, coconut oil contains natural hyaluronic acid and is useful for dry skin after the microneedling session.
Is Exercise after microneedling harmful?
It’s better that you avoid physical activities that cause sweating for at least 2 days after microneedling.
Plasma pen before care
Plasma Pen is a non-surgical treatment using advanced plasma energy to achieve smooth younger-looking skin. Plasma is the fourth state of matter and is an ionized gas. In this treatment, the ionized gas is what makes the results. Plasma Pen is a device releasing this ionized gas that holds an electrical charge. With a high or low atmosphere, moving manually, the device can target many skin concerns.
There is not much to do before your Plasma Pen procedure. Still, you can do some precautions to ready your body for the appointment and get the best result out of the process.
First of all, avoid sunlight like Count Dracula himself. No tanning of any kind 4 to 6 weeks before the Plasma Pen appointment. Activities such as sun tanning, spray tanning, sunbaths, or even tanning injections can affect the final result of the Plasma Pen. Scientifically, the tanning process causes changes in skin cells that prevent Plasma Pen treatment provoke the body to produce more collagen under the skin.
If you have to be under the sunlight, use SPF-50 sunblock. Even if you do not spend many hours outside, you still can use this type of sunblock to prepare your skin before your session. Sunblocks become a must-to-do if you have a dark skin type.
Plasma pen aftercare
After each Plasma Pen session, there will be small yellow spots on the treated area in lines. They stay visible on the skin up to 5 days after the treatment. After that, in 7 to 10 days after the treatment, they fall off and leave no mark after them.
There is no serious side effect to the treatment. The skin can get red and swollen and you might feel a bit irritated, but no more than that.
Despite the microneedling, in plasma pens, there is no particular aftercare product. But you can use some foundation to cover the cluster marks if you want.
But just like the microneedling, there is a list of what should NOT do after each session of Plasma Pen:
- Do not expose your skin to direct sunlight for 2 days after your appointment. Wear dark sunglasses, especially if you have a Plasma Pen around your eyelids.
- Do not use aggressive hygiene products, such as fragrances, soaps, etc. They can wash off the healthy oil of your skin and dry it out.
- Do not go to the swimming pools, sauna and do sunbeds for 5 days after your Plasma session. The skin pores are still open and more sensitive than ever, it is exposed to any possible harm.
- Do not exercise or engage in any physical activity that can make you sweat at least 5 days after your Plasma treatment.
Common questions about plasma pen aftercare
If you still have doubts and questions about Plasma Pen, consult with an expert to make sure you are a good candidate for trying Plasma Pen. Here we also have the two most asked questions about Plasma Pen:
Can I wear make-up after plasma pen treatment?
It is possible but not recommended. It’s best to apply make up 48 hours after microneedling treatment. So if you must wear some make-up, remove it the second you can.
Is aloe vera good after plasma pen treatment?
Yes, some aftercare products for Plasma Pen include aloe vera in their ingredients. You can also apply aloe vera on your skin, but consult with your doctor before doing so and ask about how much and how often you need that on your skin.
Microneedling and Plasma Pen are different in technique but are both treatments used for younger and healthier looking skin. So knowing about the before and aftercare of one of them does not mean it applies to the other one. Therefore, consult your trusted expert before attending them and remember carefully to follow steps before and after you try any of them.